Emerging Leaders Institute
Emerging Leaders Institute (ELI) is a program for students at SUNY Geneseo who are involved
with student organizations & campus activities. Through participation in the Institute, students
will gain valuable knowledge and skills that will aid them in future leadership positions on
campus. If you are now, or may be getting involved and are considering running for a leadership
position, ELI is for you! ELI is especially designed for sophomores, juniors, or transfers involved in student organizations and campus activities.
ELI 2010 INFORMATION
- ELI begins on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 in the GOLD Leadership Center, MacVittie
College Union, Room 114, @ 3:45 pm-5:15 pm
- ELI sessions will continue for the next four Wednesdays, meeting in the same room and
location. Tthe dates are: Oct 20, Oct 27, Nov 3, Nov 10
- You must sign up and attend all four sessions to complete the ELI and earn the Bronze Leadership Certificate.
- Why Participate?
HOW DOES ELI WORK?
- To become an active, contributing member of campus life
- To develop basic leadership skills that are practical for campus leadership and future
- To develop friendships with other future student leaders in a series of fun and
interactive leadership training sessions.
- To earn a bronze leadership certificate.
HOW DO I SIGN UP FOR ELI?
- Limited to 25 Students
- Registration forms and nominations will be accepted until registration deadline:
- ELI will consist of four 90-minute workshops which are held every Wednesday for four
SAMPLE TOPICS TO BE COVERED
- Students will be accepted into the Emerging Leaders Institute by nomination
and recommendations (If you would like to nominate a student, send an email to
- Self-nomination and registration may be completed by registering for all four sessions on the GOLD website. Go into your account to "add or drop a workshop" and add all four workshops to your schedule.
- Nominations from student organizations, advisors, presidents/leaders, & Student and
Campus Life Staff
- Goal Setting and Getting Results: Leaders and organizations can accomplish amazing
results through setting goals, planning, and moving in a positive direction.
- Communication and Problem Solving: Learn the technique of getting your ideas across
to others. Study ways to solve problems and resolve conflicts in groups
- Motivation and Team Building: Successful leaders get things done by involving
members. Learn how to build a team and delegate responsibilities and get the work
done. Motivate, Motivate, Motivate!
- Running Effective Meetings: Boring meetings make for boring organizations. Learn how
to run meetings that are interesting and keep members coming back for more.
- Leadership Styles: Understanding yourself and the leadership style which works best for
you are two of the keys to becoming a successful leaders. Explore the theories and
adopt a comfortable style for you and your organization.
- Ethical Leadership: Choices are often difficult and leaders frequently wrestle with
decisions involving ethical behavior. Learn how to do the right thing.
- Managing Your Stress and Time: Learn how to prioritize all of your activities and still
have time for yourself. Discover how to be more effective at planning and organizing
yourself and your time in order to cut down on stress.
- Diversity and Leadership: Successful leaders reach out and bring everyone together in a
positive and caring community. Learn how to effectively work with diverse populations.